setback... ye ke?

WHAT minor setback?

This entry is dedicated to my 20-cents worth of thought reflecting the recent Sarawak elections, in which 9 seats were lost to the opposition.

The news on both television and radio kept quoting the PM (or was it the Deputy PM?) to ‘investigate’ the causes and reasons why the 9 seats, in which primarily urban (Chinese) seats were lost.

In my humble opinion, the voters are smart.
The seats lost were mostly (if not all?) Chinese based.

Thus, the mentality of the voters would affect the winner.
The winner would have to work hard for the constituency and be kept on the edge of his seat to perform well (in order to be reelected the next polls).
There are no guarantees that any single party would win the seat contested, it’s never a sure win.

The last parliamentary elections, the ruling party won the Batu Lintang seat by 1000+ majority (that’s where I voted, by the way). Who would have thought they’d lose the State seat? And this is smart as well, right? They’re represented by the ruling party in the parliament, but they’re able to make a difference in the State DUN.

So it’s a swing, a pendulum.

And this is good. I mean, to a certain extent, it’s just one term. So I’m being liberal, but with a few seats, at the very least there’s some sort of check and balance system, right?

That is why I applaud the Backbenchers / shadow government in the UK. So ok, all I know about it is the impression I got from reading Jeffrey archer’s book when I was in my teens. Why? Cause the check and balance that can be achieved. The critiques will at least try to fix whatever it was they criticized in the first place (me being the optimist here).

That being said, to me, as a Sarawakian Malay, politics is dead.

The mechanism of Malay issues, of Malay fights are no longer there.
The spirit of it all. I don’t see it, neither do I feel it!
By stating all this, I am way over the line, way over my head. But what the heck, I’m feeling reckless tonight. The last I saw of ‘fight’ in the Sarawak political scene was when I was a kid in the 1987 elections which came about from the Ming-Court debacle.

I don’t belong in any political party.
I believe in voting.

It’s a hard-earned right which came with our Independence.
But politics? Seriously, to me it’s dead.

And why 20-cents worth of thought in this matter?
Heck, it’s definitely more than the usual 2-cents!

-#-

Labels:

posted by dee3 @ 11:51,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home