Of New Year & Resolution…

New Year is around the corner.
Come 31st December, the next day is a new year.
Every year.
Come the New Year, the word Resolution tags along. Hitches on.

So the question is: what are your Resolutions for the New Year?

But the
main question is: did you fulfill all the previous years’ resolutions? (Most probably not, right?)

So why do we always bother with Resolution(s)?
Year in, and year out.
Its boils down to it being dragged on to the next year at the end of the day, right?

And why do we always associate Resolution with the New Year?
Perhaps it’s just the word: Resolution.
Association with the coming New Year which is just inseparable, set in stone in our mind.

Let’s have an example – a dialogue with oneself and a preoccupation with the term ‘watching my food’.
Scene: OK, I need to watch my food. But just let me savour the day, and I’ll start tomorrow. Maybe tonight if things are bad. But most likely tomorrow. Come to think of it, definitely tomorrow.
Analysis: Let’s assume that the scenario with watching one’s food has a health situation attached to it. Thus the sentence “maybe tonight if things are bad” can be justified, and immediate action needs to be taken. No prolonging to the next week, not the next month, not the next year.

So perhaps, the next connection between Resolution and New Year is
procrastination.
It relates to things that one can move forward to the next year, that we eventually identify as Resolution.
And that just MAY be it, association with the New Year. Inseparable connection.

Till then, happy procrastinating.

ps. I tried it only once. When I was 10. When I turned 11, and didn’t get to do what I had resolved then, I gave up. For good. Now things are done in the short term basis. Keeps things simpler, on my part that is.

pps. The ‘for good’ part up in the ‘ps’ – at least for the years leading up to now. Ha!

-#-

Labels:

posted by dee3 @ 23:09,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home